Friday, February 5, 2010

Singing in the Shower

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a singer.  Also, an artist, a nurse, a gymnast and a vet, but the singer thing stuck with me almost as long as the artist.  My mom tells me that as a baby I would turn my head toward wherever the music was playing in the room.  I used to get by myself and just really belt it out.  Mariah, Whitney, hymns, whatever came to mind.  The getting by myself was also usually in the shower or in the car.  The acoustics are really good in enclosed spaces. (; 

It's been a long time since I've sung a song.  Really sung.  Like from the gut - let it out - who cares - at the top of my lungs.  Today I've been snowed in all day.  Ryan is in Utah, and it's just me and the house.  So today in the shower me and Amazing Grace got reacquainted.  At first it was just fun, riffing the notes, getting louder and louder because I can.  But somewhere in the middle of "my chains are gone, I've been set free," it hit me that hey, my chains ARE gone.  I have been set free.  And His grace is amazing toward me. 

It sounds simple.  It sounds cliche.  But today in the shower I started out having fun, and ended up having communion with the Lover of my soul.  I need to sing praise more often, more loudly, proclaiming Grace at the top of my lungs. 

Blog Archive