Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grandma

Passed last night at midnight. 

I felt like I should call her all day yesterday, and I didn't.  Got too busy.  Obvious life lesson, anyone?

But I'm glad that in the last conversation we had I told her I loved her. 

Grandma and I shared a love of dollhouses when I was younger.  Grandma had all these shadowboxes all over her house.  Little rooms in miniature that she would decorate down to wallpaper and lighting.  I was always fascinated by them and how the little scenes were so realistic.  She inspired me to build paper and cardboard mansions for my barbies. 

Grandma never forgot a birthday.  I looked forward every year to receiving a card from her with a little check and a little note.

Grandma had hydrangeas in her backyard.  Big bushes of them with huge pink and blue clusters of flowers.   I used to love the smell and the look of the bushes.  I have two hydrangeas in my front yard for that reason.
 
I remember Christmases at her house.  I got sweaters that I would wear the heck out of.  She always had a train go around the base of her tree, and we used to play with it for hours.  

Grandma lived with and took such good care of my aunt, who is mentally handicapped.  Aunt J- and I would play whichever board game she had that was new when we visited.  I remember Wheel of Fortune very clearly.

Grandma was spunky and sweet.  She never flew anywhere, but she always was taking road trips on the bus with her girlfriends.  She was also tech savvy.  Ordered all her groceries online and had a facebook.  At 88. 

The thing though, that spoke to me the most, and that I treasure about her the most, is that Grandma was actually my step-grandmother.  We aren't her blood relatives.  But she never treated us differently or made us feel like we were less than important to her.  She accepted and loved us and she was the only real relationship I had with a grandparent growing up. 

This was her third bout of chemo, and her 2nd or third time with cancer.  She was tired and she deserves to rest.  I'm gonna miss her a lot.  Give Jesus a hug for me, Grandma.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

<3 you.

Blog Archive