Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reading Materials

So....it's been a while since I talked about the books I'm reading.  Here's the DL on it.

Just finished the Princess trilogy.  An excellent autobiography ghostwritten for a Saudi princess.  Sultana, is spoiled, childish and heartwrenching all at the same time.  Mostly, these stories still anger me beyond belief.  The answer to abuse and trafficking is a combination of Jesus and poverty relief.  But this imperfect world is not going to get it all right and it hurts to read about the babies.  Reading this story reminded me of stopping in the park in Nicaragua and talking to the 15 year old prostitutes working there.  That was the hardest day for me of the whole trip.




Winter Garden, by Kristin Hannah.  She is fast moving up the list of my favorite fiction authors.  She writes about the family unit and relationships within it.  I learned about the Siege of Leningrad, something I had not learned in history class.  Fiction can indeed teach. (=







And, Robin Hobb is one of the more original and imaginative SciFi/Fantasy authors out there, I think.  Her new duo is great and I totally enjoyed it.  Escapist and a fun read. 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Princess series. Good reading for awareness, but anger-inducing and heart wrenching all at the same time. :D

Blog Archive