Monday, August 9, 2010

First Reads: I Grew Spiritually

This was a hard one.  Again, I have more than one book and I can't really remember what came first.  CS Lewis is a HUGE influence.  I have to say that his writing shaped a good deal of my early theological philosophies.  The Great Divorce, Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, A Grief Observed....but it's hard to pick just one...so....

When I returned to the States, the summer before college, a friend of mine gave me a book written by Chuck Swindoll called the Grace Awakening.  He gave it to me with the advice that reading this before attending PCC was probably the best thing I could do to prep for school.  He was so right.  The Grace Awakening was profound, and it's a theme that has continued to invade my life.  Legalism vs grace. 




To go back EVEN further, I was discipled in high school by a precious woman, and we studied a little book by Roy Hession called The Calvary Road.  Foundational is the only word to describe the affect it had on my faith and my life's world view.  I use it now in my current small group as I am leading these young ladies.  SO GOOD.  I think it should be required reading for many churches and small groups.  If you like Andrew Murray, you will heart Roy Hession.

No comments:

Blog Archive