Sunday, March 20, 2011

The S Word

Andy asked us an interesting question this week.  "What," she said, "is the lie you believe about God?"  My first thought was...God isn't big enough, powerful enough, good, all of the standard things you would think would be a lie easy to believe.  None of them were exactly right.  They were all kind of in the right direction, but the real lie behind all of that--the one I really believe--is that I know better than God.  That I am smarter, wiser, would do a better job running my life.  Eve and I have a lot in common, apparently.  And I make a mean apple pie. ;)

Control. 
It's a song.
It's a movie. 

And it's the subject behind the subject of every self help book.  We want to have power in our lives to change.  To change ourselves.  To change others around us.  To get where we want to go.  To get what we want. But the thing is we don't have control over anything or anyone else outside ourselves.   And we really have limited power over who we are. 

Submission.  It's a dirty word.  It's the S word.  The opposite of control.  The way, in the way of the upside down kingdom, to be successful in life.  So hard.  Reading in John today:

All things were made and came into existence through Him; 
and without Him was not even one thing made that has come into being.
In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of men.

The Person who made everything.  Every intricate detail of my body, my world and my life is held together through this Being.  And I think I can do a better job than He can, running my life.

Submission.  


It goes from being a dirty word to being the only one that makes sense really fast.


"If we think the arms are weak, we won’t jump. For that reason, the Father flexed His muscles. “God’s power is very great for those who believe,” Paul taught. “That power is the same as the great strength God used to raise Christ from the dead” (Eph. 1:19—20).

Next time you wonder if God can catch you, read that verse. The very arms that defeated death are the arms awaiting you.

Next time you wonder if God can forgive you, read that verse. The very hands that were nailed to the cross are open for you." ~Max Lucado



Life works better when I ask God what the plan is instead of telling Him what it is.  Submission is easy and sweet in His arms.

No comments:

Blog Archive