Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ain't No Reason

Another one of my favorite singer/songwriters is Brett Dennen.  He looks a lil like a Raggedy Andy doll.  Poor guy.   
 But his music is amazing.  Lyrically he's genius.  Here are some of my favorites from his song...Ain't No Reason: 
You can spend your whole life workin’ for something
Just to have it taken away.
People walk around pushing back their debts,
Wearing pay checks like necklaces and bracelets,
Talking ‘bout nothing, not thinking ‘bout death,
Every little heartbeat, every little breath.
People walk a tight rope on a razors edge
Carrying their hurt and hatred and weapons.
It could be a bomb or a bullet or a pen
Or a thought or a word or a sentence.

One of the consistent things about life is that every now and then it's gonna sting.  It's gonna hurt. In the spiritual home God brought us to so many years ago, I've seen again and again how God takes our broken stories and really, truly makes it work together for good.  It's taken a while but he's been peeling down my walls and my masks so that instead of insisting that everything is fine(MKs are good at that) I can say that things are not fine and I struggle here and there.  More than that he's given me a family and a support that I can call on for prayer.  Like I did today.  And wow does God move when we give him our pain instead of holding onto it and acting in emotion. 

And so, even though my family is going through another rough spot I have a lot of hope, because I know that God is good.  He works all things out for good.  And he was present today at lunch as we chatted with Sam and is present in us going forward. 

Just like the rest of the song says....

But love will come set me free
Love will come set me free, I do believe
Love will come set me free, I know it will
Love will come set me free, yes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you.
- Ruben

Blog Archive