Monday, May 2, 2011

Humility

I'm a can do kinda girl.  Give me a challenge.  I'll take it.  Tell me I'll never be something.  I'll go kick butt at being it.  If you have a problem, I'll try to fix it.  If you need something I'll try to give it to you.  Maybe it's being the oldest in my family.  Birth order and all that jazz.  Maybe it's the aftereffects of not having it all handed to me growing up.

The bottom line is, Crystal likes to make it happen. 

Through several really difficult situations in my life over the years God has brought me to my knees again and again to remind me:  I don't have it covered.  I don't know it all.  I can't fix the world.  And in letting go, and saying I'm sorry a few times I've learned wisdom.  And humility.

Humility isn't talked about too often.  We are a proud society.  Humanity in general runs to pride as a virtue and a reason to start wars big and small.

Pride.  It keeps us from talking.  It keeps us from saying I'm sorry.  It keeps us behind walls.  Breaks relationship.  Makes us do stupid things in the name of looking awesome.

Jesus washed some feet and recommended that we do the same.  God is pretty clear about he feels.  Check this out:

 5 The LORD detests all the proud of heart.
   Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. 

Humbling yourself is really hard.  No matter what the situation is, it goes against who we are naturally.  Not taking first place.  Not taking the spotlight.  Admitting you're wrong.  Asking forgiveness of someone who's wronged you.  Serving in the background, quietly.  All of these things kinda suck.  But they are the things God says he prefers.  Rewards.  And they are the things that build relationship.  That preserve.  That teach wisdom and goodness.   And we need the grace of God to go there.  It's a lesson I'm still learning.

It's a good thing He's promised to help us. 

 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful, Amiga. And so much where I need to sit today. I love you.

Amber J said...

Makes us do stupid things in the name of looking awesome. = perfect summary RIGHT there. hmm, very good, transparent thoughts and i agree, pride makes us do what we shouldn't and not do what we should...and it's so easy to fall victim to.

Blog Archive