Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Poetry

Poetry often says for me what prose meanders and weaves and ducks and drags its feet at when getting to the point. A point so quickly revealed in verse where paragraphs weigh it down.  (Music is poetry and poetry is music.)  My favorite poets are ones that write like they are writing songs.  ee cummings and Pablo Neruda being my two favorite modern poets. Here is just a sample, but it's like they take my heart and write it on a page.  I think poetry is one of the most difficult and most beautiful art forms. It's like sculpting glass.  So easy to do badly, but so incredible when done by a master. 

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

~Pablo Neruda Sonnet XVII

Um.  Amazing.  

Lovely one,
your eyes are too big for your face,
your eyes are too big for the earth.

There are countries, there are rivers,
in your eyes,
my country is your eyes,
I walk through them,
they light the world
through which I walk,
lovely one.


~Pablo Neruda, Lovely One

somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond
any experience,your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose
 
ee cummings, somewhere i have never travelled 
 

No comments:

Blog Archive