Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Choose Your Own Adventure

Well, I had 3 completely different things I wanted to write about tonight. So, gosh darn it, I am going to write about all three. This is choose your own adventure blog. You can read one, two, three or none. (=

One: Surprised by Joy.

This is one of my fave CS Lewis books. In my little Sunday SG we are talking about Joy as one of the fruits of an abiding life. Joy as a choice and a world view rather than a fleeting emotion. Joy as a state of contentment as much or more than ecstatic happiness. CS Lewis says in his book, "God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous." And He is. Unscrupulous in His pursuit of our hearts, giving us grace after grace and favor. Sunny days, hugs from a friend, a walk on a Spring morning, kisses from my niece. All of these things are constant reminders that joy is a state of being. An acknowledgment of grace.

Two:  Humble Pie

As I was walking through the neighborhood with Shea, I heard myself talking about how one of my SG girlies was learning and applying the things we were talking about in her life.   And then I said, well, I feel inadequate many times to teach.  Well, guess what, Crys it's not about you.  I know that seems like not a big deal to say, but the thing is I was saying it out of a place of wanting it to be recognized that maybe I am a great small group leader.  See what spirituality!  And then follow it up with false humility.  Nice.  Another CS Lewis quote:  "The moment good taste knows itself, some of its goodness is lost."  Self in any form is not pretty.  God is in and around this little group of ladies and the work that the HS is doing is in fact, awesome.  Too bad I tried to take some credit there. 

Three: Mission Fields

I have to write a letter to my brother.  I have been putting it off, because, well, I'm a chicken.  But God is being clear about this.  Baring my heart spiritually is not easy for me with my family. I don't know why.  But here goes.  He needs Jesus.

Also, all of the sudden God is moving me in the direction of sex trafficking overseas.  To draw attention, to use my skills for highlighting and serving the battle against it.  Kind of unexpected.  I am interested to see where this journey goes.  I've been invited to go to Thailand with Freedom 4/24.  Have to hash it out with BRCC first, but I think it will be cool.  Nicaragua is about to take off in church too.  This Sunday is the big media presentation to the body.

God has also given me a whole lotta new friends.  And some reminders about old ones.  Ezekiel 34 is especially pertinent.  Shepherding the people in our paths matters.  That's a whole 'nother post though. (=

1 comment:

the Jeffr said...

aha. I'm helping put together a big fundraiser for Love146 this September. We did a cycling event last year that raised almost $40k. This year, we're adding walking and running, and we've got a great new venue. I'll let you know how it goes!

Blog Archive