Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pride and Other Matters

So I found myself yesterday chatting with the wedding coordinator in the back of the reception tent.  Actually, I found myself bragging about how incredibly awesome I am and what I am going to accomplish in life.  Yup.  You know that moment when you say something and immediately realize you shouldn't have said it.  Me. Yesterday.  Except I spent about 10 minutes saying it.

Today's message today was actually a Bill Hybel's video from Willow Creek.  About Holy Discontent.  About the burning in our souls that God uses to move us to action.  And then I had Nicaragua meeting tonight about tomorrow.  And in the meeting was reminded of the girls.  The poverty.  The deep needs spiritual and material.  Followed up with God using a passage written by Mother Theresa and Isaiah 55 in small group.

Wow.  So let me break it down for you:

" The biggest disease today is not leprosy or cancer or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling of being unwanted, uncared for, deserted by everybody."  ~Mother Theresa.

"Why spend money on what is not bread,
       and your labor on what does not satisfy?
       Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
       and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.   
3 Give ear and come to me;
       hear me, that your soul may live."  From Isaiah 55.

What matters is not what awards or recognition I win in my career.  What matters is not how artistic and talented I am.  What matters is Jesus Christ.  My relationship with Him.  How that translates into my relationships with other people.  How I care for the least of these, my sisters in Nicaragua. 

O God, give me a holy discontent with anything that fills me other than you.  I want to eat and be satisfied with your things and not my own.  Forgive me for my pride and thank you for reminding me that your regard is all I need. 

No comments:

Blog Archive