Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Change

Late nights and mellow music usually lead me to the same place.  Which is here, journaling away the minutes.  The internet is telling me that journaling is not a word.  Well, tough internet. 

Lots of people have been asking me what the trip was like.  It's hard to break it into pieces because there is just so much that happened in the 3 days that to put it into one big conversation seems a little overwhelming.  But, I will say that two things seemed really important.  One was that the home recently took in a couple little girls that had been chained up in a brothel.  And when I say chained, like chained like dogs to the floor.  They are beautiful, darling girls.  Sisne kept asking me to be her sponsor.  And I had to compromise and tell her I would be her "tia" because she already had a sponsor.  But the ability to hug them, and to see a smile peek out of the corner of Alma's mouth was worth the whole trip. 

The verse, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," keeps ringing in my heart.  There are times in our life when we can really make a difference.  When a disaster or a crisis happens in the news it can seem removed.  Supporting the home really makes a difference.  You have the ability to really change someone's life or circumstances.  To literally rescue the prisoner.  To bind wounds.  To clothe the naked and feed the hungry.  To speak the gospel and to live the gospel. 

Oscar said that he has always felt that real Christianity was not in going to church and singing specials, or volunteering for the churchy things we can do.  Although those are good.  He said for him, Christianity always meant rescuing the captive. 

Amen.

No comments:

Blog Archive