Sunday, December 26, 2010

Joy in Hope

I saw it this morning as I was leaving for church.  It's a lil pottery plaque that I picked up, can't remember where.  It has a passage from Romans on it in caligraphy:

suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. 

I have walked past it every day of this year and never really looked at it for a long period of time, but this morning I did.  And then in church this morning, guess what passage was highlighted in part of the service?  Yup.  Usually when God repeats something to me, it's for a reason.

But here's the thing.  I haven't really been in the mood to listen.  I could do with a little less perseverance and character building.  God and I had it out in church this morning.  I've reached the end of my abilities.  The end of my ability to deal with it.  To cope.  To try.  To even want to try.  I'm at the point where I want to move on. 

But I can't.  This place I'm in is a somewhat permanent situation.  Maybe being at the end of myself is a good thing though.  Because from here on out, I can truly say that only God has done it.  It's time to pick myself up out of the dirty dusty resting place of self pity, though, and carry on.  Carry on and trust God for the joy in hope He's promised.  

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Praying for you in lots of love. (((HUGS)))

Blog Archive