Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events, Followed by a Single Fortunate One

Well, the last 24 hours have been interesting.  I started yesterday sitting in this very spot, having barely made it to work because some schmuck spilled oil all over the road.  Nothing ever happens in Lynchburg, so the city workers were thrilled to have a catastrophe to work on and shut down every street in a mile radius of where my building is.

Now mind you, I could park and walk to the building(amongst the hazardous materials) but it was unsafe to drive.  Le sigh.

Having made it up here finally, I rushed about doing last minute things and was about to leave when H popped his head in and asked if I wanted to join the crew downstairs at the Tea Room.  And by Tea Room, I mean this little establishment....

So I popped my head in to say hello, and was greeted with...."you're the lady who always wears black!  You a witch?" 

Really. 

BAHAHAHA!  How awesome is that?  Please, I want to have that reputation.  People will be very nice to me.  And in this neck of the Lynchvegas woods, it's a good thing. 

Fast forward to us in Ryan's Mini rolling through DC like mega gangsta's....until we hit a huge pothole.  Got a flat.  Limped into the parking lot.  And sheepishly went inside. 

Ever heard a man cry in pain over his car?  Yeah, it's not pretty.   Fast forward to the end of the party, we are still waiting around on roadside assistance that doesn't assist much.  So I get in a cab to head to the hotel...leaving my capable man to deal with the situation. 

I tell the cabbie where I want to go, and he tells me to get out!  FOR REAL.  So I get out and flag another cab down.  He takes me...and as he takes me he's explaining how he's from Northern Africa and speaks Arabic, and studied in Libya.  And our hotel was not close, it was a 20 minute ride.  I'm making small talk and smiling alot and internally I'm like, please Jesus I don't want to die right now, please don't let him be a terrorist..haha! 


Around 7 Ryan makes it to the hotel full of stories of prostitutes and shady tire dealerships and Nigerians....

All that to say:

The party was a total win!  Love these people.  SO grateful for the experience.  Made some connections that will be lasting, I hope.  Cheers!



2 comments:

Amanda said...

Such great stories! I love to hear them!

Amber J said...

welllll...you certainly can't complain about a boring trip!!! sheesh! that was um... waaay funny. looking back on it, of course. glad no one was abducted ;)

Blog Archive