Friday, August 31, 2012

12 Years

An interesting thing is happening to me these days.  I have my little brides and grooms ask me often how many years I've been married.  And when I say 12 years, their faces light up.

I think somehow my little marriage has become a thing of hope.  It's so easy not to make it past year 1.  Or 2.  Or 5.  We treat each other as disposable commodities now.  If we don't fill each other up we move on.  It's a little scary to be young and say forever to someone else.

I was taking some engagement pictures over the weekend in NY and the bride to be asked me if I have any advice.  I dodged the question in the moment, but I have been thinking about it.  If I was to dare to give anyone marital advice it would be this:

Cherish your love.
Commit to commitment.
Play with each other and have fun.

So there you have it, Jeffrey. :)

I by no means have a handle on how to be in a great relationship.  But I'm happy to be celebrating 12 years of marriage tomorrow to my Ryan.  We have made a lot of mistakes.  We have hurt each other a lot.  But we still love each other 12 years later.  And I'm excited to go spend a whole day with my man.

That's a thing of hope for me. :)

No comments:

Blog Archive