Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Funerals & Thank You Cards

Funerals remind you life is short.  That's just the truth.  As I was standing in line tonight waiting to greet my grieving friend whose husband just passed, I could almost feel my mortality tapping me on the shoulder.  Tonight was a celebration of a man who loved his family well and who was deeply respected in his community.  It was a blessing to have known Don and to know his widow, and my sweet friend, Billie. 

I want that.  At the end of my life whether it's tomorrow or 25 years from now to have the friends and family say I was a blessing in their lives. 

And also it made me think about the things we don't say when we should.  I saw Don just a couple weeks ago at an event.  I should have hugged him.  I didn't.  I just said hi and made small talk.

For this month a bunch of ladies are participating in 30 Days of Thank You Notes.  I'm really enjoying it, and I want to keep it going past November.  Why wait?  Why ever not tell someone that you love and appreciate them.  Why ever not hug someone? 

Life is short.  Opportunities come and go quickly. 

In other news, I have made a funeral plan.  It involves 90s CCM music to be played along with Broadway tunes.  Oh yes.  I have friends who have promised me spoken word poetry and interpretive dances.  Also, the evening will morph into a DJ'd rave with glow sticks.  It sounds amazing.  I want to have my funeral now please. Except I want to attend it. haha!  You think I'm kidding about the rave or the spoken word poetry?  I'm dead serious. 

(And giggling over dead serious in conjuction with funeral plans.)

 Time to go write a thank you card.  And hug my people.



No comments:

Blog Archive