Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Power of the Positive

Today I received a text from a friend of mine.  Her lil daughter is working on becoming a photographer and she's about 17, I think.  Anyway, I liked one of her pictures on facebook and her mom texted me saying that she was so super excited because I'm her favorite photographer and thanked me for paying attention.

Now friends.  This was a half a second decision on facebook this morning.  And it impacted my young friend.  A lot, apparently.

One of the messages in Nica was about the power of words.  Of how they hold life and death in them for the people around us.  I know it's true in my life.  I remember who invested in me when I was younger.  I still feel the power of the love in my friends and family when they are affirming and I've been crushed by words uttered in anger or contempt.  And remembered those things for years.  And sometimes believed them about who I am.

It's a little terrifying to think about how much we can truly help or hurt the people around us.  In this whole discipleship journey God has me on, it's been a rollercoaster of feeling really fantastic and holy or in moments of honesty being afraid to fail these precious women.  Because I know the sin in my heart.  If I say follow me as I follow God, I better be damn sure I'm following God. 

God has been so good this week in reminding and correcting my heart.  In my life the power for good comes directly from the Source of good.  It doesn't come from Crystal.  It doesn't come from my heart.  It comes from the heart of God and it flows through me as I obey Him.  And that's my prayer and my deepest need.  That I would not wander away or get caught up in pride, but that I would follow on so that God can use me.  My little life.

So that in the small things and in the big ones there is positive affirmation.  Movement toward God.  That I would not cause hurt.  But help.  

That I would not cause hurt. 

Psalm 70:4
But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation always say,
    “Let God be exalted!”


No comments:

Blog Archive